CASA CORAZZA

GRADO
CIVIDALE
LE GROTTE
ISOLA DELLA CONA
PALMANOVA
TRIESTE
GEMONA
VILLA MANIN


PALMANOVA

In 1593 October 7th, when the Venetians had already lost the important stronghold of Gradisca, in the nearby Castle of Strassoldo was signed the Act of foundation of the fortress of Palmanova.The citadel, designed by the Friulian architect Giulio Savorgnan in a star-shaped with nine points, walled with mighty bastions and broad moats, can be considered as a good exercise of what expressed by the Renaissance literature in connection with the themes of the ideal city, as well as the strategical point for defending the Serenissima on its eastern borders against possible invasions from the East (Imperial or Turkish). Unfortunatelly this was performed when severe damages were already caused in the "Basso Friuli" by Turkish in the second half of the 15th century. Venice was not able to defend the town against these attacks. The name Palmanova springs to mind - Palmada - the old name of the village that stood there. In 1797 Palmanova was occupied by the French and renamed as "Palma la Nuova" by Napoleon who enlarged more its difences. The entrance was maintained through three gates ascribed to Vincenzo Scamozzi: "Porta Aquileia" (once named "Maritime"), "Porta Udine" and "Porta Cividale". In 1883 it lost definitively the military amministration as a stronghold and became an ordinary public amministration mainteining till some years ago, some barracks.

Casa Corazza, Via S. Zili, 3 - 33051 Aquileia  Tel.: 0431/918913 Fax: 0431/917294                 webmaster- Massimo De Donno